Skip to main content

Musica

I've always had an eclectic taste in music. My ipod would leave you completely baffled....and I love that. I love that I cannot be easily categorized. Sure, I have my favorites - my go-to's. But, even those are all over the musical spectrum. Shuffle will take you on a journey over 5 decades....even though I've only been alive for 3.

I blame my mom. When I was very young, our day-to-day life always had a soundtrack. I can't remember a time when there wasn't a record playing. So, inevitably, I fell in love with music early. Of course, then, my taste was her taste - a blend of Motown and Top 40 hits. As I got older, my collection grew to include Rock, R&B, Classical and Jazz. But, to this day, Motown holds a special place in my heart. And, this month, I was able to realize a childhood dream.

I can now say that I've seen Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and Smokey Robinson live. And it was fantastic. I got to sing "Higher Ground" with Stevie, "Midnight Train to Georgia" with Gladys and "Ooh, baby baby" with Smokey. (Yes, we're on a first name basis) The lyrics to these songs are almost innate. They've been a part of my life for so long that I can't remember a time without them. And each song evokes a memory (or two) so strong that I can only close my eyes and breath it in. Bliss.

I only regret that I will never have a "duet" with Michael Jackson. Oh, what I wouldn't give to croon "Rock with you" with the King of Pop....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2010 - The year we freeze to death...

Somewhere under all the white stuff there is another world. A world with sidewalks, streets, grass and no need for layers. The sun shines. The birds chirp. And I can go walking without going numb from the waist down. I assume all this, of course. It's been so long since I've seen this world that I'm starting to doubt it's existence. Around Dec. 27th or so, the nostalgia of a White Christmas wore off. Now, it's just another snowy week...er, month...dammit, months!! I knew this Winter wouldn't be fun - being our first in Canada and all. The last time I dealt with it at this level, I was in High School. At that age, a little cold weather doesn't stop you from doing much. You're fearless. All I needed was a windbreaker and we were out the door. I guess I was just tougher then. More likely though, I just didn't know any better. Today I feel like a 70-year old woman walking around the house in a sweater clutching my Kleenex. I'm hopeful that this mean ...

Mommy-to-be rant

Image by EssjayNZ via Flickr When I first found out that I was pregnant, a friend of mine told me "Everyone will have advice. Take some. Leave some." Boy, did he hit that nail on the head. It seems there are a lot of opinions on everything from my birth plan to diapering, breast feeding vs. bottle feeding, bedding, schooling - you name it. (From parents and non-parents alike.) I know they mean well, of course, and I appreciate the concern. I really do. After all, this is our first child. But, I'm also hormonal and stubborn. So is Matt. (Well not hormonal - although I could swear he has PMS sometimes.) Some things we're excited to figure out for ourselves. And anyone who knows us well, knows that we can't be told to do anything. (A trait I hope little Isabel DOESN'T inherit - but I know she will. Ugh.) There is one group that is particularly starting to annoy me. I affectionately call them the Just Waits . As in, "Just wait until she REALLY starts ki...

We should have named her Petri

Attention all brand-new Mommies and Mommies-to-be: Here's something no one told me -- Your immune system is about to be tested like it's never been tested before!! I was prepared to sterilize, sanitize and compulsively wash my hands. We spend the first year just trying to keep these little nuggets healthy. What I wasn't prepared for was that my getting sick is inevitable. If she sniffles, I'll be sniffling the next day. If she sneezes, I'm soon to follow....then, Daddy. Yep, it's a family affair. And what seems to be a mild cold in her gets amplified in our giant bodies. No fun. We've just spent the last two days in quarantine thanks to baby. And I still have no idea where it came from. Now, to disinfect.... What's going to happen when she starts school?! Maybe we'll just put her in a bubble. Save ourselves some trouble. Otherwise, I guess we have Malaria to look forward to. Have you met our daughter?