Skip to main content

Isabel - 1 month

A few days ago, my Mom and I were sitting in Starbucks when a very pregnant girl walked up to admire Isabel.  She asked me, "So how were the first few weeks?" I thought about it for a minute and then realized that I didn't really remember the first few weeks. It's probably not the answer she was looking for but I answered, "It's a blur."

It's true.  Looking back at those first few days when Isabel cam home, all I remember is being so sleep-deprived that I was literally afraid to use our stairs for fear I'd break my neck.

Then I woke up one morning and she was a month old. (What happened to those 30 days?!) That's not to say that we're suddenly well-rested. Far from it. We've both learned to function on 4-5 hours of sleep. But our system seems to be working okay and the little one is (FINALLY!!) starting to get the concept of night and day - sleeping for longer periods while we do.

Now, if we could just find a cure for baby gas......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2010 - The year we freeze to death...

Somewhere under all the white stuff there is another world. A world with sidewalks, streets, grass and no need for layers. The sun shines. The birds chirp. And I can go walking without going numb from the waist down. I assume all this, of course. It's been so long since I've seen this world that I'm starting to doubt it's existence. Around Dec. 27th or so, the nostalgia of a White Christmas wore off. Now, it's just another snowy week...er, month...dammit, months!! I knew this Winter wouldn't be fun - being our first in Canada and all. The last time I dealt with it at this level, I was in High School. At that age, a little cold weather doesn't stop you from doing much. You're fearless. All I needed was a windbreaker and we were out the door. I guess I was just tougher then. More likely though, I just didn't know any better. Today I feel like a 70-year old woman walking around the house in a sweater clutching my Kleenex. I'm hopeful that this mean ...

Mommy-to-be rant

Image by EssjayNZ via Flickr When I first found out that I was pregnant, a friend of mine told me "Everyone will have advice. Take some. Leave some." Boy, did he hit that nail on the head. It seems there are a lot of opinions on everything from my birth plan to diapering, breast feeding vs. bottle feeding, bedding, schooling - you name it. (From parents and non-parents alike.) I know they mean well, of course, and I appreciate the concern. I really do. After all, this is our first child. But, I'm also hormonal and stubborn. So is Matt. (Well not hormonal - although I could swear he has PMS sometimes.) Some things we're excited to figure out for ourselves. And anyone who knows us well, knows that we can't be told to do anything. (A trait I hope little Isabel DOESN'T inherit - but I know she will. Ugh.) There is one group that is particularly starting to annoy me. I affectionately call them the Just Waits . As in, "Just wait until she REALLY starts ki...

Look, Mom!! No stretchmarks!!

I've never been one of those girls with a fast metabolism, who can eat whatever they want, never exercise and still stay a size 4. Freaks. In fact, I'm the opposite. My metabolic rate is sluggish at best and weight loss is next to impossible without a strict regiment of working out and eating basically nothing. I tell you this because, for the first time in my life, I feel like I'm getting a taste of the other side. Matt, Steve and my Mom all say I should keep this information to myself but, hell I deserve to gloat just a bit. After 9 months of pregnancy, I've come out on the other side stretchmark-free and 3 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight.... just 10 days after giving birth. WOO HOO!! Granted, I needed to drop a few pounds before I got knocked up. But, it's sure going to be easier to start from where I left off. I'm feeling pretty good actually. (Still a bit euphoric as I look at my beautiful little girl) In fact, I'm thinking that this pregnancy c...