Skip to main content

Confessions of a Former A**hole (Language Advisory)

I used to be an asshole.

No. No. Don't argue. It's true.

HA!

I laugh because I don't' think that many would argue. And that's ok. I can fully accept that now. You have every right to feel the way you do. I take full responsibility.  But there's good news! I'm not an asshole anymore.

Step 2: ???. Step 3: Profit.

I'm not trying to make excuses but, to be fair, my past asshole tendencies could be attributed, at least in part, to survival instinct. You see, I didn't grow up around people that were particularly nice to me. It's cliche but you weren't going to get me if I got you first. Kentucky was (is?) pretty unforgiving as a Latina girl. I look back now and realize I was surrounded by prejudice; from teachers, other kids and our in-laws. That didn't help matters.

Then, suddenly, I was an insecure adult trying to find my way, still completely convinced that EVERYONE had an agenda. It's safe to say I became my own worst enemy for awhile. But, seriously, how would you have handled it? I did the best I could with what I was taught...or wasn't taught.

I was lucky enough to cross paths with a few amazing folks during these impressionable years; friends that could and still do love me unconditionally. (I'm looking at you Steve & Shannon) The rough waters were much easier to navigate with someone else to help row. Sadly though, this didn't immediately stop my being an asshole.

Then, life happened - college, heartbreak and stress. Most days, I didn't really know which way was up, to be honest. All I knew "for sure" was that life dealt me a bad hand. And unfortunately, it would take literal years for me to grasp that I had the ability to change my story.

Now, I could go on and on and on about the things that happened to me to cause my assholishness. But, I feel that would be counterproductive. I could tell you, sure, but talking about some of my experiences still makes me feel gross and that directly leads to more asshole behavior. It's a vicious cycle.

Instead, I'll focus on the pros of being a reformed asshole. (I made a list) Yes! There are some and they don't just affect me. It may be hard for you  to understand or you may even disagree that any good could come from it, particularly if you're one of the fortunate few who never had to develop a defense mechanism. Or you may have a different opinion if you've ever been hurt by a former asshole...or if you've ever been hurt by me. I can say with confidence that the list that follows is a direct result of living the life of an asshole:

- I have a quick wit.

-I have a complete inability to put up with bullshit and I make it known.

-I have an uncanny ability to spot ANOTHER asshole.

-I will always stand up for myself....and you too.

-I am fiercely loyal to those who love me despite (or maybe because of) my formal asshole status.

-I am raising a kind little girl and I have the power to give her the childhood I never had. Hopefully,
she'll never feel the need to be an asshole.

If you are/were an asshole, perhaps you'll recognize a bit of yourself in my words. Perhaps, you even have a few more pros to add to the list. Perhaps, you're still an asshole and that suits you just fine. I'm in no position to judge.

Only an asshole would do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw