Skip to main content

This Blog is Sexist

A few nights ago Matt and I were watching an old episode of Sex and the City. Well, I was watching. He was half-listening and playing on his phone.

"Ugh. I hate these scenes when they're talking."

First, don't you dare dis my show. Second, "What do you mean?!"

"It's so forced. Life. Love. Clever quip. We're so funny!" He said mockingly.

Taken aback for a second, I looked at him utterly confused, "That's how girlfriends talk. We're much more clever than men."

Cue eye roll. He knows I'm right. Still, I couldn't help but wonder, (see what I did there?) What the hell do men talk about?

I thought back to a few recent conversations we've had after a "Guys Night." There have been some major developments among our group of friends in the last few months: 3 big moves, a hospital stay for a sick kid, new jobs and general adulting. Lots of material for in-depth discussions.The day-after exchange goes something like this;

Me, "So how's *sick kid's name*?"
Matt, Shrug.

Me, "Is *friend* feeling any better?"
Matt, "I guess."

Me, "Are they enjoying their new house?"
Matt, "Shit, I don't know."

Is he oblivious or distracted? Uninterested or heartless?

Man or woman?

I don't get it. What do you guys say? Do you sit in utter silence? Are your conversations nothing more than guttural sounds and bodily functions? Do you speak in code? Please enlighten me. How do you know if you have things in common? How do you feel about things? What are you afraid of? What are your dreams? ...and there I go being a woman again.

So I guess I'll never understand. I find vagaries infuriating. It seems to me men are more easily able to lose themselves in the mundane; to live in the moment. Women (well, this woman anyway) are usually a few steps ahead of what's going on around them. For better or worse. And if you have a little bit of anxiety (*raises hand*) then it's usually a few more steps ahead of that. Our minds are always on. Our worry-meters turned to 11.

Matt will ask, "What are you so worried about?"

"Oh, just everything,"

"Well, stop it."

If only...

In that regard I envy men! Put on a game, give them a beer or hand them a ball and they can effortlessly go into out-of-service mode. It must be nice to have these mini vacations. To take a break from yourself. Many times, I've asked to tag-a-long to get an inside look on how this is done. The answer is always a staunch, "NO." Fine. Go be guys. Go enjoy your wife-free night. Go enjoy your conversations about nothing.

...and pay no attention to that familiar face at the end of the bar wearing the fake mustache and overcoat. "He's" definitely not paying too much attention to your conversation. (or lack thereof)

Wasn't me.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw