Skip to main content

Self-Quarantine - Second Entry: Breaking News

Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News!

TV off.

I'm a bit jealous of folks who gave up social media for lent. I can't remember the last post I saw that wasn't virus-related.

A friend of mine said something like, "anxiety loves this stuff." She ain't lying. I watch the news, get all bothered, turn it off and calm down and then go back for more. Anyone else?

Today, our Prime Minister said, "Let me be clear. If you are abroad, it's time to come home." This was followed by something along the lines of if you don't already live here, you ain't gettin' in. This was hardly a surprise but hearing him say it out loud is a little unnerving. Especially when our families live thousands of miles away. AND I have elderly and seriously ill relatives. For now, I'm not sure when I'll see them again. I speak to my Mom when I can and she's told me she's glad we're here. (so am I) But still. Shitty.

We've just completed our first week of quarantine. Here are a few observations from my neck of the woods: (19 Confirmed Cases)

1. Everything is closed, closing or has reduced hours. I am truly in awe of the people who are employed in an "essential service" and I don't think we'll ever be able to repay them. (Hello, government, give these people a raise!) I'm thankful but worried about those who depend on hourly wages. When this is all over (and during) they are really going to need our help.

2. Everything is quiet. Most folks have taken to staying home and "social distancing." Even on walks, I'm seeing folks cross the street if they see me coming. I take no offense. We simply nod and keep moving. Weird.

3. Trump is a complete f'n moron. Always was and you will NEVER convince me otherwise. This situation is the perfect opportunity for people's true colours to shine. So, let me be clear... he doesn't care about you. He didn't care about this situation...until it hit his pocketbook.

4. Average folks - my neighbours - still continue to amaze me. People have been so generous with their time and abilities for others in need. THIS gives me hope.

5. The news is too much. I had to make a decision to turn it off. Now, I tune in for the first 10-15 minutes to get facts. (also get updates on my phone) The rest; the speculation - was keeping me up at night. All I need is where we're at, what's being done and what I need to do. You should turn it off too. This is the best advice I can offer. It's done wonders for my anxiety.

6. I am thinking of you all. I mean that. I'm wondering what's happening where you are. I hope you're well. And ANY of you can drop me a line if you need to chat. We all need to support each other. Like it or not, we're all in this together.

7. My family is amazing and I love them.

Sending all my love. I hope you can feel it.

XOXO

Vanessa Sully

Don't stand so close to me.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw