Skip to main content

Self-Quarantine - First Entry: Isabel's already bored



For the last year I've been saying  that we are living in the shit-storm montage that you see at the beginning of every post-apocalyptic film. (*cue the zombies*)

I have yet to be proven wrong.

This last week, though, we hit the gas pedal. You can't turn on the news without being inundated with COVID-19 updates. Everything is cancelled. Everything is scarce. Everyone is home. (Well, everyone that can be) And so begins the era of self-quarantine - an era, I hope, we'll look back on fondly in a few weeks when this is all over.

Until then, though, guess what? We're all in this together.

The Sullys' have not been exposed (that I know of). We have not been out of the country. (for far too long) But, we will still do our part and I hope you will too. It's going to be a long few weeks, to be sure. But we WILL get through it.

Our families live in the USA. On a good day, I'm worried about them given current affairs. I've been watching the news, of course, but I find it more useful to ask them directly what's going on around them and in their area. That being said, I thought it might be useful for them and for my USA friends to know what's going on around here. It seems there are varying responses to this situation in different countries. I will try to document (archive) what I see happening in my little suburban corner of the Great White North.

So here we go:

What I've seen in Ottawa, ON: (10 confirmed cases)

1. March Break is next week in Ottawa. On Thursday, Premier, Doug Ford, went on the news to say that "children who travel during the break will be allowed to return to school after." As you can imagine, this was immediately met with a shit storm. Schools are notorious petri-dishes and many parents had already decided to keep their kids home after the break, regardless. By that afternoon, the decision was changed to all schools will be closed until "April 5th." Colleges and Universities seemed to have followed suit.

2. My famously cool-headed husband made a comment on Wednesday night, "maybe we should stock up on just a few things." It couldn't hurt, I guess. Not because, we fear doomsday. Mostly because dumbasses are out in hordes emptying shelves of basic necessities. We decided to do our weekend shopping early to avoid this. We got everything we needed (basics+) and the store was pretty stocked. The lines were crazy though. The poor cashier asked me, "What happened that got everyone so crazy?" (school closure announcement)

3. My community has really stepped up. For every few scare-inducing posts, I'm seeing incredible acts of kindness and generosity; people offering to shop for those who can't, people offering goods to those who can't find them, offers of mental-support, and posts for free-websites and home based activities to keep us all busy. People are mostly good.

4. Most people, myself and Matt included, will be working from home. I feel so thankful that we can. I realize there are so many people who just do not have that option. I hope to see measures put into place to support people who live on an hourly wage. And I cannot fully express my gratitude to the folks on the front lines; nurses, doctors, grocery cashiers and stockers, janitors, etc.

5. Yesterday, the Canadian government issued a statement to those who are abroad to basically say, "Get home while you still can." Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, says that closing the borders is still an option at this time. Scary stuff since my family is thousands of miles away.

These are the broad strokes, my friends. What is happening right now is unprecedented. (and if anyone says "liberal hoax," I need you to unfriend me now. I know science is scary *eye roll*) We will get through this. Everyone just keep calm and reach out for help if you need it.

Oh and one more thing:

Go wash your hands. The phone/computer you're reading this on is filthy.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw