Skip to main content

Be the Good


Why is everyone so angry lately? In public. Online. On the roads. It’s so exhausting. The very air can be so heavy sometimes. And it can really beat you down if you let too much of it in. We can all do better. I can definitely be impatient. Sometimes, I get triggered, sure. When these situations arise, though, we have a choice; hastily react or pause (breathe, if necessary) and assess the actual scenario.

I’ll let you in on a little secret.

I have terrible anxiety. And, unfortunately, it seems to be getting worse as I get older. Ironically, I always thought the opposite would happen. You grow up and you’re supposed to let minor bullshit go, right? The answer is a bit more complicated than “yes or no.” I can let minor things go, yes. But usually it’s only after I’ve obsessed for a while. And now, for added fun, I find I obsess over very different things than I used to. Gone are the days or worrying what I’m going to wear out or when my paper is due. (Well, not completely gone…) They have been replaced with adult-y things; kid, money, job, husband, the weather…

So, what do I do?

I know everyone tends to use the Christmas season as a time to be a better person – even if it’s only for a little while. And that’s great! But, for me, it’s a little bigger than that. I’ve made a conscious decision to put out what I want to get back.

I’ve been taking every opportunity I can to put good out into the world. If Karma is a bitch, then she can also be an angel, right? If what goes around comes around, then I got a lot of good coming my way. And the truth is, I need some good. (We all do!) Not to say I’m only doing this for what I’ll get in return. I just figure, it couldn’t hurt. And, it just feels really damn good.

I challenged myself to start small; a smile, a compliment. Smiles are totally contagious, you know. And then I moved on to buying someone’s coffee and donating a few Christmas presents. Maybe it doesn’t seem like much to you but it’s a contribution to the world I want to be a part of – that I want my family to be a part of. And, not once, have I regretted it.

Maybe this blog will inspire you to do the same. Give it a try. I can’t guarantee a quick return on good Karma. But I bet you’ll also find it’s worth your time. And if your smile inspires someone else to then pay theirs forward… oh, what a wonderful world.

Merry Christmas!

-Vanessa Sully

See? Dalton gets it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy-to-be rant

Image by EssjayNZ via Flickr When I first found out that I was pregnant, a friend of mine told me "Everyone will have advice. Take some. Leave some." Boy, did he hit that nail on the head. It seems there are a lot of opinions on everything from my birth plan to diapering, breast feeding vs. bottle feeding, bedding, schooling - you name it. (From parents and non-parents alike.) I know they mean well, of course, and I appreciate the concern. I really do. After all, this is our first child. But, I'm also hormonal and stubborn. So is Matt. (Well not hormonal - although I could swear he has PMS sometimes.) Some things we're excited to figure out for ourselves. And anyone who knows us well, knows that we can't be told to do anything. (A trait I hope little Isabel DOESN'T inherit - but I know she will. Ugh.) There is one group that is particularly starting to annoy me. I affectionately call them the Just Waits . As in, "Just wait until she REALLY starts ki...

2010 - The year we freeze to death...

Somewhere under all the white stuff there is another world. A world with sidewalks, streets, grass and no need for layers. The sun shines. The birds chirp. And I can go walking without going numb from the waist down. I assume all this, of course. It's been so long since I've seen this world that I'm starting to doubt it's existence. Around Dec. 27th or so, the nostalgia of a White Christmas wore off. Now, it's just another snowy week...er, month...dammit, months!! I knew this Winter wouldn't be fun - being our first in Canada and all. The last time I dealt with it at this level, I was in High School. At that age, a little cold weather doesn't stop you from doing much. You're fearless. All I needed was a windbreaker and we were out the door. I guess I was just tougher then. More likely though, I just didn't know any better. Today I feel like a 70-year old woman walking around the house in a sweater clutching my Kleenex. I'm hopeful that this mean ...

The Party's Over?!

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y.... NIGHT!! Image by knitbunny via Flickr I went to bed last night at 10 p.m. No, I wasn't feeling badly. I wasn't preparing to get up early. I was tired. The moment my head hit the pillow and settled into our ridiculously comfortable bed, I was out -- until 7 a.m. no less. (not counting my inevitable 3 a.m. potty break) Since becoming a big, fat preggo this is the rule, not the exception. It happened so gradually that I barely noticed. My hours of operation have completely changed. I'm not sure if I should thank or curse our recent slew of visitors for bringing this my attention. Frankly, their comments have been a little unsettling. Here are a few gems: "It's nice not to be on a schedule." (translation - "What are we doing?!") "You guys have a nice, quiet life." (translation "You're boring!") ...and my favorite... "You guys are making me old!"  (translation "You guys are making me...