Skip to main content

The Roaring 20's


The next decade is pretty bleak... if you ask Hollywood. Dystopian, disconnected, dangerous. In keeping with America’s obsession to promote fear, we have been taught, through film, that our reality will go majorly awry … relatively soon.

When we were kids, my mind didn’t see 2020 like this. We have fun gadgets now, sure, but sadly, my car still doesn’t fly (lies, Jetsons), I can’t make pizza with a “hydrator” in less than a minute (thanks for nothing, Back to the Future 2), and we can’t even implant memories! (although, Total Recall, wasn’t exactly promoting this)

To be fair, though, a future envisioned where things are just sort of the same wouldn’t bring in box office numbers. Throw in a robot uprising, a worldwide plague or carnivorous aliens and we line up. 

What the hell is wrong with us?


Here's 5 movies that make me want to build a bomb shelter:   


1. Blade Runner
Released in 1982. Set in 2019.

Siri and Alexa are relatively new to us but they are certainly the precursor to a world of ‘bots and Replicants. Come on, we all know the outcome when we try to enslave artificial intelligence. It becomes self-aware. It goes rogue. We die. The end.


2. Terminator: Dark Fate
Released in 2019. Set in 2020.

Another cautionary tale in the saga of man vs. machine. In this version, Skynet is gone. It was eliminated in T2. Still though, life finds a way. The lesson here? The future belongs to the machines. We’re screwed.


3. A Quiet Place
Released in 2018. Set in 2020.

At least this version of the new decade looks relatively familiar. The big difference? Aliens, man. Mean ones, made of ears that have made the world go silent. Which honestly doesn’t sound too bad, to be honest. It’s just that I’m not interested in getting eaten. I’m clumsy. I drop things. Death is certain.


4. Her
Released 2013. Set in 2025.

With the world at our fingertips, we are more disconnected than ever. Lonely guy finds a perfect girlfriend in an OS. She is ever-present and caters to his every need. Why would you ever speak to anyone again?



 5.Children of Men
Released in 2006. Set in 2027.

By 2027, the world is so f’d up that our very physiology changes. All women are infertile. But then there’s one lucky lady who finds herself miraculously with child and must be protected at all costs. Makes you wonder, huh? Will a plague or a bomb take us out or will we simply just cease as a species.



My outlook on the future isn't as dark as all this. But if life imitates art (or vice versa), humans are headed for some hard lessons.

Happy New Year? and sorry if I ruined your day.

Vanessa Sully

AND we have to worry about problems with the Earth's gravitational pull! Dang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw