Skip to main content

5 Scary Movies You May Have Missed

*Originally written in 2015 for my Brother-in-Law's, TheNerdFu.com, I stumbled across this last week and thought the timing was perfect for a re-sharing. 

**************

What’s your favorite scary movie? HalloweenA Nightmare on Elm StreetThe Exorcist? I would be hard-pressed to single out one in my genre of choice. There are those that make me jump, those that make me scream, those that make me gag and (most preferably) those that make me quiver.
‘Tis the season to revisit my beloved horror films. One a night, much to the dismay of my fraidy-cat husband. Thanks to me, he is now very schooled in this frightful style. And through my devotion to this category, he has seen more than just the mainstream drivel. Here’s a few movies that slipped under his radar and maybe yours too.


Eden Lake  (2008)


This has a relatively simple premise. A young couple (half of which is Michael Fassbender) escape to the English countryside for a romantic camping weekend. But their peace is quickly disrupted when they are confronted by a group of obnoxious teenage hooligans. After that things go from bad to worse to WTF?!

The best recommendation I got for this film was from another horror loving girl who simply said, “This movie is f***ed.” She wasn’t lying. The true terror of this brilliant movie is the subtle escalation. You can truly see this happening as disturbing as it is. If forces you to ask, “What would I do?” And the ending will truly haunt you for days.


>read more about Eden Lake on IMDB


The Pact  (2012)


This Indie gem is now in my top 10. Part ghost story, part murder mystery and part monster movie, this one has it all. A young woman is forced to return to her childhood home in the wake of her Mother’s death. Already uneasy surrounded by her traumatized past, strange things start to happen and the story takes a very dark turn.

The beauty of this movie is that you can’t possibly know where it’s going from the beginning. There are moments that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. (“Mommy, whose that behind you?”) And I can almost guarantee a scream or two. Just when you think you’ve got it figured out, you don’t.



>read more about The Pact on IMDB

Entrance  (2012)


I found out about this movie through Entertainment Weekly in an article written by Stephen King. Is there really any better endorsement I could give you?!

I watched this (alone) knowing nothing. The reviews on IMDB were mixed but all said the same thing — stay to the end. On the surface, it is the story of a young woman going about her life in an almost anonymous way. She goes to work, feeds her dog and occasionally enjoys a cocktail or two. You realize there is something a bit more sinister at work when her beloved pooch goes missing. And are those strange bumps and bangs in her apartment just her imagination? The climax will leave you breathless in a “did I see that coming?” kind of way. Stay to the end.
>read more about Entrance on IMDB

The Descent  (2005)


Can you think of a better setting for a horror movie than a cave? A group of lady spelunkers become trapped miles underground with limited light in a system they know very little about. And to make matters worse, they are not alone.

Staying true to the genre, this is a film about predators and prey. It truly becomes terrifying when you learn exactly what is pursuing them. And the drama is only escalated further when they are forced to work together through seemingly deteriorating friendships. The real question is not just will they survive the creatures but will they survive each other?



>read more about The Descent on IMDB

Dark Skies  (2013)


I watched this one with the aforementioned fraidy-cat Husband and Nerd Fu’s own, Chris Sully. Admittedly, it is a lot of fun to watch scary movies with people who get really scared. What I didn’t expect was that this movie would thoroughly creep me out as well. Movies about little green men too often don’t deliver.

A suburban family is suddenly rocked by a series of paranormal events in their home. Like anyone else, they look for the simplest answer but quickly learn there is nothing simple about birds flying into their house, mysterious bloody noses and most notably a son claiming to have a nightly visitor.In a few scenes, reminiscent of (my absolute favorite) Poltergeist, this film builds the tension and fear in a way that makes your scream almost inevitable. And once the family seeks help from an alien expert, you discern that this family has been chosen and must ride out these happenings to its decided conclusion whether they want to or not.


                                                         >read more about Dark Skies on IMDB

Vanessa Sully



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw