Skip to main content

There's No Place Like Home

The only constant I have from my childhood is that things were always changing.

We moved a lot. We changed addresses the way some other families changed seasonal decor. Seriously. I counted once; 17 times before I graduated from high school. I often get asked if I was an "army brat." No. I wish I could say our gypsy lifestyle was due to something that honourable. The truth is, I really don't know (although I suspect) the reasons. I only know I was ALWAYS the new kid at school in a sea of kids who had all mostly known each other since Kindergarten. I made friends, of course. But, sometimes just as quickly as we'd get comfortable we were packing up again. I wonder now why we even unpacked at all.

For my child it would be different.

Two weeks ago we moved. For Isabel, it was a first and she was nervous. Under any circumstances, moving is stressful and scary. But now I have to do it with a big smile for my 8-year-old. As a parent, I like to think I've done my job. We've given her roots. That's always been my ultimate goal. Our old place was her house. She knew where things were. The neighbourhood was full of familiar sounds and faces. We were comfortable. But, like many families before, we simply outgrew the space. We are a small family, to be sure, but we have A LOT of stuff and tons more things. Also, my dear little is now asking for more privacy. So are her parents.

As I prepared the week prior to our move, I took to Facebook to see if there were any other people in my community groups that lived on our soon-to-be street. Several responses later, I was direct messaging with my new next door neighbour. Ain't that internet great?! A few days later, while unloading our moving truck (well...while watching the movers unload the truck, I'm 40 for Christ's sake), we were greeted by several warm faces. And a group of little girls that seem to rule the street quickly accepted Isabel into their exclusive club. She is thrilled. Our second night here she proclaimed,  "I hope we never move!"

We probably will though.

But not today. And not for a while if I have anything to say. And unlike 8-year-old Vanessa, I do. Finally.

For now, Isabel's insecurities (and ours too) have subsided. She's just learned two very important lessons;

1. Our address may change as the years go by but home will always be wherever we're together. Our little family fills these rooms with love and that's what makes it home. And I will try my hardest not to do this to her 16 more times. Oy. I don't think my back could take it, anyway.

2. Sometimes change is good. (a reasonable amount) It can bring new friends and new adventures. We have to be open to it. We have to be brave.

I hope one day she'll appreciate my efforts. She'll look back at the times she told me she was bored or sick of us always being around and realize how blessed she is. I was always jealous of the kids that had that stability. But, I guess that's every parents wish though. 

Vanessa Sully

Our new place. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw