Skip to main content

One and Done

I am an only child...

...and I know all the preconceived ideas that just popped into your head. We're spoiled. We're selfish. We're lonely. Am I right? Maybe I possess(ed) a few of those traits but not for the reasons you'd think. My personality was shaped more by a tumultuous upbringing. I'm not sure a sibling would've changed that. In fact, most times I'm glad that no one else had to go through it. Or maybe it's more like I'm glad there are no witnesses.

Isabel is also an only child.

She doesn't complain about not having siblings unless someone else brings it up first. When it's a curious child asking, we respond warmly, "Nope. It's just the three of us." Usually they seem a little confused at first, then maybe a little jealous? Kanata is not known for only children.

Adults are tougher. "We don't want more children" is often met with many questions. It's exhausting and infuriating. When we lived in the States, most of the people we knew who were parents had one child; one and done. It was very common. And I don't remember anyone having much to say about it.

Then, we moved here. Apparently, there's a lot to say...

I've literally heard the following:

"Oh, of course you want another!"  (I do?)

"You wouldn't do that to her!" (Do what exactly?)

"What if you two die?"  (Then we'd leave multiple orphans, you idiot.)

The last was from our FORMER family doctor. Nice, huh?

So, here's the thing. I'll set the record straight because people seem to want me to. Matt and I never thought we'd have children at all. Isabel wasn't planned. That in no way means she wasn't wanted. In fact, I believe, and this is the part that makes me think life is more than just random, she came into our lives at a time when we needed her most. It was time to grow up. And a GIANT change in our reality was just the kick in the pants we required. Now before you childless folks get all worked up, "You don't need children to grow up!" I think we did. This is our story.

I wouldn't change a thing. Simply put, Isabel is everything. Plus, and I feel compelled to mention this, child rearing is a terrifying crap shoot. We've been in the game long enough now to see the variables. Isabel is funny, beautiful, healthy and sleeps like a champ. I often hear parents say, " Our second was the complete opposite!" We're not chancing it. When you've hit the jackpot your first time at the table, you walk away. (A little Vegas reference for Mimi) Also, I'm just too old for all that now. 40 was my deadline. But, I wish nothing but the best for those can and will have kids into these years. It's just not for me.

So view us how you will. My Facebook feed is full of all kinds of different families. This is ours and it's perfect. We're the Three Musketeers. The Three Amigos. Sully Cubed. The Sully North Chapter. There is nothing missing. Actually, the opposite. We have an abundance.

Vanessa Sully

...and so is my daughter.






Comments

  1. Well said, dear. We got it right the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, thanks for sharing this. I had no idea how much judginess ya'll have dealt with. We have similar issues for not having any children, but that I would expect more than if you already have one....and she is such a great kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uncle Steve! She really is a great kid!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Jesus" is my Bowling Buddy

As if this place wasn't bizarre enough, it turns out that Canada has their own version of Bowling. Have you heard about this?! Yet another thing I have to adapt to. They've taken o ur game and (like everything else) tweaked it just a little. The game of 5-Pin is just that. There are only 5 Pins. 5 widely-spaced pins. Instead of two turns to knock down the pins, you get three - which I initially thought was ridiculous but quickly found out is imperative...especially for beginners. It's harder than it looks! The bowling balls are different too. You no longer have to peruse racks and racks of balls for the right weight and color. All the balls are the same. They are small enough to palm (no holes) and only weigh a few pounds. This makes it extremely difficult to throw straight - which seems to be the way to win. This is what I get after years of perfecting my curve and spin.... Let's just say the I was no stranger to the gutter . Don't even ask me how the scoring works

4-months-old

We were told that, by this point, we would be settled into a routine. I guess we are for the most part. I mean, as much as a 4-month-old will allow. She has her naptime, her bathtime, her playtime and her bedtime. We made the mistake of getting just a little comfortable. Then, in true baby fashion, she threw us a curve ball. Also known as teething. It seems early to me but we're assured that it's perfectly normal. I don't see any baby teeth yet but the drool, crabbiness and constant fist-gnawing tell us they're on their way. And, my God, the personlity on this kid! (Wherever does she get it?) She's discovered it's much more effective to get our attention by yelling than by crying. I swear she's saying, "HEEEEEEEEEEY!! HEEEEEEEEEEY!" She's become very vocal. Mommy and baby have full conversations at least twice a day - my new favorite thing. And, the best thing? Everything is suddenly hilarious to her. Tickling, her toy hippo, bathtime and ge

Let's get this party started, eh!

Canada just became the place to be. We like to think so at least. We've probably done more partying in the last month here than we did in the last year in Atlanta. Is that good or bad? Whatever it is, we're having a good time. The transition has definitely been made easier by the fact that we had friends (more importantly, friends with cars) waiting for us. Thanks to them, we've had a very extended welcome party. So, is it really that different? Not really. Everything is just sort of, slightly, kind of different. :) Matt says we're living in an "alternate reality." It'll take a little getting used to for sure. The hardest thing for me so far is the money. After living my whole life with the boring, American Greenback, I feel like I'm using Monopoly money. And my confusion is only elevated when I'm told "We don't use one dollar bills." Instead, you are given a Loonie - a one dollar coin. There are also Toonies - a (you guessed it) tw